[xsl] Huge XML data files >> XSLT

Subject: [xsl] Huge XML data files >> XSLT
From: Jinesh Varia <jineshresearch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:53:03 -0800 (PST)
hello,

I am extrememely sorry to ask such a novice question. I have an xml file (around 150MB) :
<main>
<article>
</article>

<article>
</article>
<book>
</book>
<proceedings>
</proceedings>

Which I am transforming to another XML using XSLT (say pubids.XSL) which works fine with part of
above XML data file. it changes to: (I am generating the ids here)

<publications>
<publication pubid="0001">
....article data
</publication>
<publication pubid="0002">
....article data
</publication>
<publication pubid="0003">
....book data
</publication>
<publication pubid="0004">
....book data
</publication>
<publication pubid="0005">
....proceedings data
</publication>
</publications>

and then I have another XSL which uses the above XML to transforms the authors inside each
publication into another element "person" and intersection element "pubper" to :

<publication pubid="0001">
...all article data but author element
</publication>
<person perid="10001">
...author name
</person>
<pubper>
<pubid>0001</pubid>
<perid>10001</perid
<pubper>

eventually I am doing all this so that I can use XMLDBMS to import the data in MySQL

Everything is working fine when I have small data sheets.

But it gives outofmemory error even if I increase the heap size.
Please suggest some way where I can perform my operation without getting this annoying outofmemory
error.

Mr. Kay suggested to use SAX filter.
How can I use SAX filter in this type of transformation.

Also, Is there any way I can out the status of the parsing. like "30% complete" or may be
"publication pubid="0001" processed" or something which shows that the process of
transformation/parsing is going on.... some status indicators comments that I can provide in the
XSL sheet which outputs the current line

Thanks. Please suggest some solution

Jinesh

=====
Jinesh Varia