Re: [xsl] The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:10:10 -0500
Just a few example how much trouble this causes:

I had:

<xsl:value-of select="$x"/>

now suddenly make Saxon crash with ClassCastException! I mean,
come on, isn't it obvious that when I want to create a text
node that that object behind the variable is turned into a
string somehow? Even Java does that automatically!

I had

<xsl:if test="$x and not($x='')">

than now raises and error that xs:object supposedly doesn't
compare with xs:string! Get real! The xs:object in this case
actually happens to be a java.lang.String! I mean, how close
can you get?

Finally things now work just differently, I continue to get
crashes and stuff not terminating, and who knows what other
bad things are happening.

I now revert back to Saxon 7.3, this is killing me. I really
applaud Michael for his Saxon work, but this sudden move to
(needless) strict type checking without a way for migration
was a bad idea. Will I be forever stuck with Saxon 7.3?

-Gunther