RE: [xsl] Re: Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:37:10 -0000

> It seems to make so much more sense to me to build an import
> facility into XQuery akin to <xsl:import> (something that's
> frankly a necessity anyway, since the same argument about the
> utility of "one-off" functions in XSLT2 applies to XQuery in
> spades) and then put the date functions (including the date
> types, more on that in a moment) into their own namespace.

XQuery is likely to have such an import capability, the design is well
advanced.

I think the suggestion that the date and time functions could go out of
the core, and into a separate namespace, on the basis that they could be
implemented in an XQuery or XSLT module, might be quite well received in
some quarters - especially if you supplied an implementation! Some
functions have already been removed from the core because it was argued
that users could easily implement them themselves, and quite a few WG
members are keen to reduce the size of the core library.

I'm less convinced by the idea of separate modules for double, etc - I
don't think we want to get to the point where every stylesheet starts
with a standard set of 23 namespace declarations.

Michael Kay