Re: [xsl] Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0
From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:54:27 -0700

Américo Albuquerque wrote:
I have the feeling that a group of people has the goal of making XSLT a ridiculous language.

Absolutely! About 12 or 15 of the best minds in the XML world have devoted several years of their lives to creating a joke. Nobody is expected to take all that work seriously. The entire goal was to be so ridiculous that we'd all laugh about it for years to come.

Get real.

The goal of the "group of people" has always been, and still is, to produce a new language that works well in the brave new world of XML Schema-typed documents. If your documents are either purely DTD-based or have no metadata associated with them at all, then the features of XSLT 2.0 that correspond to the XSLT 1.0 specification are all you need use. If you want to deal with Schema-typed documents, then you have more power available.

But please don't insult a group of people who are working their tails off to try to build a better future. You might disagree with the goal, or with the result. But don't be so petty, please.

Sigh...
   Jim
Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxxxxx
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxxxx
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345