Re: [xsl] many to one OR one to many?

Subject: Re: [xsl] many to one OR one to many?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:32:55 -0500
Jason:

First, this is only sort of on topic. You'd have the same question if you weren't using XSL. :-)

Second [off topic] ... the answer depends. In general the one-to-many solution will be easier to engineer (think about managing cross-references, for example). But there are file and content management issues (i.e. not XSLT engineering at all) that might overbalance this convenience, such as the total quantity of data (how big would that file actually be?), how (and by whom) it is edited and managed, etc. etc. And strategic questions: maybe your data will fit nicely into a single file now, but what if it grows? (Might it? How fast?)

Also, keep in mind you don't have to do your production in one step. (You probably won't in any case.) You could maintain your data in separate files, then glom together (convenient for certain kinds of editorial work), then split apart. A one-to-one correspondence from XML source to your HTML output may be very nice to have (the lmnl.org web site is built like this) particularly if your overall design is very "webby"; but it's not the only way to do it even if you go with multiple source documents.

The core problem you should be thinking about is designing and maintaining your entire workflow, not just your production process. Depending on your organization as well as the quantity and design requirements of your data, going from one big file could be perfect, or a disaster.

Your question about tools really falls into the same category. Given how contingent they are on the particulars, questions like yours are what keep consultants in business. :->

Sorry not to be more help. It's a complex issue. Hopefully others will also have something to say.

Cheers,
Wendell