[xsl] April Meeting of the Washington Area XML Users Group

Subject: [xsl] April Meeting of the Washington Area XML Users Group
From: Betty Harvey <harvey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:50:23 -0400 (EDT)
The next meeting of the XML Users Group will be held on Wednesday,
April 16, 2002 at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) at 2000
Florida Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20009-1277. The meeting starts
at 7:00 p.m.  and usually last approximately 2 hours.  If attending
the meeting by Metro, get off the Dupont Circle stop and walk
north to Florida Avenue...turn right.

There is no cost associated with attending but if you are planning on
attending this meeting, please let us know so that we can give a list to
AGU management.  You can register at:

	http://www.eccnet.com/xmlug/meeting-register.html

April 16, 2003

AGENDA

Davvid RR Webber, XML Global
       The CAM presentation will cover the topic of Content Assembly
       Mechanisms and detail the OASIS work of the CAM TC to date.

       Examples include OAGI BODs, OASIS UBL and xCBL structure assemblies.
       Since CAM is designed to be simple and intuitive attendees should
       expect to gain enough information to begin creating their own CAM
       template scripts for their own business domains.

       Also discussed will be the broader implementation details of using
       CAM in tandem with W3C schema and RELAX NG with the advantages and
       benefits highlighted. The role of CAM in deploying semantic registry
       solutions and webservice / ebXML implementations will also be detailed.

       Further information on CAM can be found at the project
       SWIKI: http://cam.swiki.net and the main OASIS website
       http://www.oasis-open.org

       David Webber is chair of the OASIS CAM TC, and the OASIS/CEFACT
       ebXML JMT. http://drrw.net

Joe Chuisano Booz, Allen, Hamilton
       The Global XML Web Services Architecture (GXA) initiative is a
       protocol framework designed to provide a consistent model for
       building infrastructure-level protocols for Web services and
       applications. In addition to this underlying protocol framework,
       GXA defines a family of pluggable infrastructure protocols that
       provide applications with commonly needed services such as security,
       reliability, and multi-party agreement. GXA provides a set of common
       facilities that are needed by a wide number of Web services and
       applications, built on the foundation of XML and SOAP. Some of the
       specifications released to date include:

             WS-Security - Provides a security language for Web services;
                           enhances SOAP messaging with credential exchange,
                           message integrity, and message confidentiality
             WS-Policy -   A general-purpose specification describing how to
                           express enterprise security policies
             WS-Routing -  Describes mechanisms for routing SOAP messages
                           without the need to rely on underlying transport
                           mechanisms.

        WS-Transaction. Adds transactional/coordination capabilities to Web
        services

        WS-Inspection. Provides a means for flexible discovery of Web services,
        regardless of the mechanism used to describe them (WSDL, UDDI, etc.)

        This presentation will provide an overview, history, and future of the
        GXA initiative, as well as a brief overview of each specification
        that comprises GXA.

        Joseph Chiusano is a Senior Consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton, based
        in McLean Virginia. His technology background includes such diverse
        areas as systems architecture, relational database applications
        design and development, operating system development, and XML
        consulting. Mr. Chiusano possesses in-depth knowledge in many
        aspects of XML and XML-related technologies, including Web services,
        XML schemas, digital security, XML registries, and XML vocabularies.
        Mr. Chiusano holds a B.A. in Information Systems from Rutgers
        University, and an M.S. in Operations Research from the George
        Washington University.

May, 2003

Tony Byrne CMS Watch
     XML and WCM Trends

Dave Anderson, SkillBuilders
     Dave has 24 years of industry experience, 6 years of Oracle experience
     and 19 years of teaching experience.  An Introduction to Oracle's
     XML DB AUDIENCE: Intermediate, Techies with a working knowledge of
     relational database and XML.

     ABSTRACT: Oracle9i Release 2 provides a suite of features collectively
     labeled XML DB. XML DB provides native support for XML within the Oracle
     database. This includes a datatype for storage, XMLType, XPath searches,
     XSL transformations and more. This presentation will provide a technical
     and practical introduction to these features. It is not intended for a
     non-technical audience.

June, 2003

Michael Hahn, BenefitNation, Inc.
       Just Adrift Off the Isle of Interoperability or, Why Indentation
       is a Very Bad Thing and Other Similar Observations

TBD

Currently we need speakers for both the technical and vendor
presentation portion of future meetings.  If you would like
to give a presentation at a future meeting, please send e-mail
or call Betty Harvey (410) 787-9200. Share your knowledge and experience
with others.

Hope to see you there.

Washington Area SGML Users Group Web Site:
http://www.eccnet.com/xmlug
Electronic copies of papers supplied from speakers are
available on-line.

To subscribe to the Washington Area SGML Users Group mailing
list, go to http://ecc05.eccnet.com/mailman/listinfo/xmlusers.

DIRECTIONS:

>From Connecticut Avenue north of AGU, make a left onto
T Street (1 block before Florida Avenue). Drive one block,
the entrance to Atlantic Garage North should be on your
right.

>From Connecticut Avenue  of AGU, make your first right
after Florida Avenue onto T Street. Drive one block.  the
entrance to Atlantic Garage North should be on your right.

>From I-66

  - Continue east on I-66 to Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge. This
    places you on Constitution Avenue.
  - Take a left on 18th Street, NW and head north. Continue north to
    Connecticut Avenue.
  - Turn left (North) on Connecticut Avenue to Florida Avenue.
  - Right on Florida Avenue. AGU is 1/2 block on the right at the
    corner of 20th & Florida Avenue.

Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@xxxxxxxxxx                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp