Re: [xsl] How to render TEI <div*>s with chapter-like pagination?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to render TEI <div*>s with chapter-like pagination?
From: "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:03:51 -0700 (PDT)
--- Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have sometimes expressed a concern about the
> "gravitational pull" exerted
> by particular shared processing applications on
> tagging practice within a
> community.
> Such as an XSL stylesheet suite -- and
> the better it is
> designed, the worse becomes the problem.
> Not
> knowing any better, projects tend to code to the
> stylesheet (the way newbie
> web designers code to a particular browser), not to
> the information they
> are tagging, with the result that information reuse
> and repurposing -- that
> is, any application but that particular stylesheet's
> target -- are
> compromised, and much of the promise of XML tagging
> in the first place is
> betrayed. (The XML becomes a handmaiden of the
> output format, rather than
> the output format serving the data.)

IMHO, if someone is coding to the stylesheet rather
than to the semantics, that is a sign that either the
available semantics aren't rich enough (as is arguably
the case with HTML) or that the someone in question
doesn't really understand what they are supposed to be
doing.

That said, that is probably a more of a "religious" or
"philosophical" question than is really fit for this
list.