[xsl] XSLT Xalan problem

Subject: [xsl] XSLT Xalan problem
From: Charlie Allerston <allersto@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:45:37 -0700
HAving downloaded Xalan I am having trouble executing a XSLT operation. I am geting an error which reads

file:///C:/swiss-prot/swiss-prot.xsl; Line 1; Column 8; XSLT Error (javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException): javax.xmnl.transform.TransformerException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The XML declaration may only appear at the very beginning of the document.

I am new to XSLT but I am very confused as my XML and XSL seem fine. Here, I will show you the top of each file

swiss-prot.xml :-

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="swiss-prot.xsl"?>

swiss-prot.xsl

<?xml version="1.0"?>

OK, so firstly can someone please tell me if I am interpreting the error correctly. It is telling me that I have some sort of problem with the XML declaration at the top of my XSL file?

Second, Is the lay out of my XML and XSL OK at the top?

Third, If there was an error, not with the top of the file, but with the actula tagging, could that generate this error message.

Please consider that I am very new to this whole field so if you tailor your answers to that I would appreciate it. I mention this as looking at some of the answers to FAQ's I get more confused by the answer than by the question

cheers