[xsl] Re: Intermediate XML file creation, was:<no subject>

Subject: [xsl] Re: Intermediate XML file creation, was:<no subject>
From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <ncam_tech@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:57:02 -0400
Reposted with a subject...

I have an XML file that is being transformed by an application that
incorporates Xalan.  This file will vary in size between 1 and 25 MB.

I need to do multiple transformations (create an SVG graph from the data,
create a frameset and frames with the data, and create a couple of overview
HTML files from the data).

Some of these transformations are complicated due to a couple of
calculations that need to be performed on the data.  These calculations
depend on an additional external file.

Is it reasonable or advantageous to create an intermediate XML file that
incorporates new elements/attributes for the calculations so that each of
the ultimate transformations don't need to do these calculations, or is this
considered bad form?  This is effectively what I would like to be able to do
in one shot but am having difficulty making it happen.  It seems that I can
lock in the result tree this way, but am interested to hear if this
generates any reaction (positive or negative).

Thanks in advance,
AWK

--
Andrew Kirkpatrick
CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media

617-300-4420 (direct voice/FAX)
617-300-3400 (main NCAM)
617-300-2489 (TTY)

WGBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate,
inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of
learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.