RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?

Subject: RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:17:53 +0100
At 16:28 18/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Thank you for the example. I'm having a very hard time putting my brain
around applying this to my purpose. If possible, could you show me how
xforms would go with my xslt (not ALL of it of course!). A small piece of my
xsl follows.  Thanks!  kathy :-|

Kathy,

You are not alone in having a hard time putting your brain round XForms. :) It will be powerful but it is very early in the process of building a community and building, by mutual teaching, the necessary skills base. At least that's my opinion.

I was rather hoping you would go off and read Micah's book. :)

You may, in practice, be better off steering away from XForms depending on your skills, timescale in which you need a solution etc.

If you are trying to create an XHTML/XForms document using XSLT, here are some highlights.

You will need all the relevant namespace declarations on the <xsl:stylesheet> element.

You will need to add an <xforms:model> and its content between the <head> and </head> of the HTML/XHTML.

You will need to substitute XForms form controls for HTML ones.

All XForms form controls will need to be bound, using XPath expressions, to appropriate parts of the instance markup inside the <xforms:instance> element.

And you will need to understand XML Events and how to tie them to the effects you want.

If most of that is new to you, quite possibly XForms may not be the immediately practical solution for your particular needs. XForms makes use of several W3C specifications, of which XPath is probably the most familiar. There is a lot to get up to speed on.

I am not sure how much that helps, since I guess I am saying that there is lot to master to be able to use XForms effectively.

Andrew Watt