Re: [xsl] xsl-fo header problems

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl-fo header problems
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:35:53 -0400
At 2003-04-23 15:16 +0100, David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
(This is beginning to sound like a David C conversation,
him being precise, me v.loose :-)

:{)} and because of the other readers who will also be seeing this, I'm going to risk sounding pedantic (again!) and try and clarify an incorrect notion that continues to hang on from what I read in your response.

> > > Note on the bottom of page 205 "the marker's parent's total
> > > area is called
> > > a "qualifying area", and thus the marker is associated with
> > > all of the
> > > marker's parent's areas.
> >
> >Yep. Up to either page or page-sequence or document.
> >No problem there.
>
> Ummmmm ... it must still be a problem because when I speak of
> "qualifying
> area" I'm not talking about page or page-sequence or document ... I'm
> talking about the scope encompassed by the parent of the
> marker.  Those
> areas that are put into the area trees of the pages.

Which is constrained by the retrieve-marker qualifications?

No. Which is constrained by being a descendant of the parent of the marker.

I think we are on the same wavelength there. I.e.
the 'select from this bunch of markers/areas associated with markers'
candidates.

Unfortunately not. I get the impression you think the qualifying area has to do with the retrieve-marker's retrieve-boundary=, which is not true.

As I mention above, on page 205 I describe the "qualifying area" as the maker's parent's total area. That would be all areas that are generated by the parent of the marker and all its descendants. Irrespective of the retrieve-marker (necessarily so since you want the flexibility of using different retrieve-marker options for the same qualifying area).

6.11.4 states how the qualifying area is attached to <marker> and *not* to <retrieve-marker>. A marker's qualifying area can span different pages (as I show in my diagram).

> I think you are lost because you are missing the concept of
> the "qualifying
> area".  That isn't page-oriented, it is area-oriented and is
> only the size
> of the areas of the parent of the marker.  All areas in the
> qualifying area
> are associated with the marker.

I think I get it. I must admit that areas leave me cold,
but I'm happy to associate them with content in the parent
of the marker.

Yes, the areas are generated by the formatting objects (see the discussion in the book on the processing model).

I hope this helps, Dave (and others).

.................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses:   Europe (XSLT/XPath):    May  5, 2003
-                            Europe (XSL-FO):        May 16, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc