Re: [xsl] Xinclude with Xalan 2.4

Subject: Re: [xsl] Xinclude with Xalan 2.4
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:38:58 -0400
At 6:48 PM -0400 4/25/03, Gregory Propf wrote:

The funny thing is that if you use an external entity defined in a DTD xalan WILL do the include. It seems this would tend to be at the same level in the "stack" too. Unless a DTD is regarged as being part of XSLT. It was my understanding that DTD is an older system of XML schema specification. But I may be wrong. I am very new to the XML universe.

No, it's not really in the same layer of the stack. By my version of the XML stack <http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/chapters/15.html> Entities are resolved in the conversion from the syntax layer to the structure layer, whereas XInclude resolution and XSLT processing would take place on top of the structure layer, and may take place in either order as the local process dictates. That is, an XSLT stylesheet can be applied before or after XIncludes are resolved or both.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |