RE: [xsl] In XSL FO: how do I repeat a piece of text other than the header or footer

Subject: RE: [xsl] In XSL FO: how do I repeat a piece of text other than the header or footer
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:40:50 -0400
Hi Abhishek,

At 12:26 PM 9/3/2003, you wrote:
Thanks for the help. I believe my point did not get across clearly.
My question is not the usage of the markers and the blocks around it.

My question is how would I use XSL to "modify" or "repopulate" markers
whenever the pages "hit" (or are incident upon) content from the "next"
chapter.

If a new chapter starts and a new marker is presented to the formatter, it knows how to do the modification on the pages. (That's what markers are for.)

Your solution is as easy as:

<xsl:template match="chapter">
  <fo:block>
    <fo:marker marker-class-name="chapter-title">
       <xsl:apply-templates select="title" mode="header"/>
    </fo:marker>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>
<xsl:template>

Each chapter gets a marker with its own title in it; the fo:retrieve-marker (which refers to this marker class), placed into the static content (that is, the header), then updates itself. That job is done by the formatter; as long as the marker is there, your XSLT doesn't have to do anything else.

? Any clearer or should I try once again :) ??

I'm not sure I got it wrong the first time. (I did mention the template for the chapter.) Why not look up markers and try them, using an example to go by?

Or am I still missing the point of the question?

Cheers,
Wendell