Re: [xsl] xsltproc and XML catalog

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsltproc and XML catalog
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:14:39 +0200
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:09:38AM -0400, Taro Ikai wrote:
> >   For troubles with xsltproc see http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/bugs.html
> > this is not an XSLT question, that's not the appropriate forum.
> > IMHO stacking URI+Cygwin "unix" remapping+Windows path sounds a
> > good way to get in trouble. Either use Unix filepaths or use Windows
> > filepaths with Windows libraries, but mixing all this together on
> > top of the already messy file:// URI constructs sounds just a recipe
> > for disaster. Unless you like doing this kind of debugging, don't do
> > this.
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Veillard      | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit http://xmlsoft.org/
> > daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
> > http://veillard.com/ |
>
> Thank you, Daniel. At this point, I'm still trying to figure out the
> correct
> use of catalogs. Once I figure it out, and I still find there are
> problems, I might file bug reports. I hope you don't mind me posting a
> few more questions now.
>
> I have a document that XInclude's a document in a subdirectory:
>
> <!DOCTYPE set PUBLIC "-//mycompany//DTD DocBook XML V4.2-Based Extension
> V1.0//EN" "mycustomized-docbook.dtd" [
> ]>
> <set>
>   <title>Test</test>
>   <xi:include href="subdir1/book1.xml"/>
> </set>
>
> and the XInclude'd document, subdir1/book1.xml, contains the same DOCTYPE
> declaration:
>
> <!DOCTYPE set PUBLIC "-//mycompany//DTD DocBook XML V4.2-Based Extension
> V1.0//EN" "mycustomized-docbook.dtd" [
> ]>
> <book>
>   <title>blah, blah</title>
> </book>
>
> 1) If the XML catalog contains no entry to resolve the PUBLIC identifier,
> and therefore tries to resolve the SYSTEM identifier, is it supposed to
> look for
>
>   a) "mycutomized-docbook.dtd", or
>   b) "subdir1/mycustomized-docbook.dtd"

  XInclude is parsing the included document first then include it.
So obviously it's b) , XInclude works at the infoset level, not as
some parser magic, you generate the infoset with a normal parser.
  Anyway I suggest to not use a path for the public identifier.
  Use a canonical URL for your system identifier, use that canonical URL
in the documents, and map it to the local resource in the catalog.
    http://xmlsoft.org/guidelines.html#Canonical

> 2) Does xsltproc handle @prefer attribute in <group> element of XML
> catalogs?

  Yes I think so, though I'm not sure I did much testing.

Reading the DocBook-Apps mailing list archive or googling for them
should have given answer to those, many people are doing the same
thing. Again wrong list, I don't understand why you insist getting this
on this channel, xsl-list is traffic intensive enough.

Daniel