[xsl] Re: Identity Transform

Subject: [xsl] Re: Identity Transform
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:59:34 +0200
"Abie Hamaoui" <ahama5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:LAW9-F105p9zYgPugu300037959@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> hello there,
> why does the standard identity transform use copy instead of copy-of?

Because

    <xsl:copy-of select="/">

is useless -- why create exactly the file you already have (and why just not
use the file-system copy command)?

What people really want to do is modify (add, delete, change value) only
some specific nodes while basically copying all the remaining. To be able to
do this we need a template which matches every node (in fact no template can
match a namespace node), so that it can be overriden by whatever templates
are necessary for our special nodes processing for any possible node.

This flexibility exsctly is provided by the identity template.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.