Re: [xsl] Collapse data

Subject: Re: [xsl] Collapse data
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:03:29 -0400
Yvonne,

At 02:21 PM 9/25/2003, you wrote:
I wander whether there is a way using xslt to perform something like
collapse and expend element.
For example,  I have a config which has multiple line items, I want to
have a "Arrow" image on the config
level, and when a user clock the image, the related line items will show
on html and click again to collapse data. Have anyone also impletemented
something like that?

Yes, I have; but it's not on the XSLT layer, it's in Javascript in the output (HTML) file.

The XSLT generates the HTML from XML source, but the collapse/expand functionality is provided by DOM/CSS/Javascript code which is not executed by the XSLT engine, but rather by the receiving application (the browser). To the XSLT engine, the Javascript is just a chunk of text that is included in a <script> node copied by the stylesheet into the result.

And also, I want to know if I want to recalculate some values based on
user input, can xsl display the new value without calling the backend?

Likewise, I would look at doing this in Javascript in the client.

Design your solution in a mockup, using Javascript; then use XSLT to transform your XML into that form.

Cheers,
Wendell

    "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
     the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
     extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau