[xsl] integrating full-page images into document flow - how?

Subject: [xsl] integrating full-page images into document flow - how?
From: ejansson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:44:21 -0500
I'm having trouble integrating full-page images into my document and was hoping
someone on this list might have experience.

Some background: I have several documents formatted in TEI format
(http://www.tei-c.org/) and need to convert them into PDF.  I've written a XSLT
script to convert my TEI XML to XSL-FO, and then use a renderer (I've used both
FOP and RenderX) to make it PDF.

The problem is as follows.  I have several figures/external-graphics that I need
to render at full page size.  However, I do not want to create a page-break at
the point in the document flow where the image appears.  Rather, I want to place
the external-graphic on its own page which immediately follows the point in the
document flow where the fo:external-graphic element appears.  The text before
and after the fo:external-graphic should flow together, uninterrupted by any
page breaks.

I understand that I can do this if I break up the document into different flows,
so that the text pages are sequenced with full-page images appropriately, each
(probably) using its own layout.  However, I would like to use a single flow if
possible, since I am autogenerating the XSL-FO via XSLT, and do not want to
determine the exact placement of the full-page images by manual experimentation.

That is, I want to avoid the process of manually having to break up the document
into different flows to achive this integration of full-page figures w/o break,
and so am hoping that XSL-FO has some way of handling this situation.

Thanks for any help!

Eric Jansson