RE: [xsl] advice/experience to share on content format options

Subject: RE: [xsl] advice/experience to share on content format options
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:40:11 +0100
> I'd like to know if anyone can share some experience on the
> best way to
> prep MS Word content for XSL processing.

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect1/N795.html lists some word to xml tools.
My favourite is upcast from
http://www.infinity-loop.de/products/upcast/

I use it regularly.

> I realise this may depend on the way the Word document is
> prepared, but
> since I haven't got a copy yet, I'm hoping it will use Word's
> structural
> capabilities -- ie. sections/chapters whatever.

Suggestion, applicable only if the style usage is a mess.
Ctrl-A apply style plain/normal whatever.
Go through and mark up headers as deep as needed.
Do any other styling.

Its so much easier to work with default word styles,
then tools can get some level of structure out of it.

.... Finally,
Wait till ?? sometime this month?? and buy office 2003,
pro or upwards, and use the xml export from that,
also leets you edit to your own schema (=== style).
Unproven as yet by me, reported by others.

HTH DaveP

-
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.