[xsl] Re: [xsl] RE: [xsl] Re: [xsl] Problems transforming currency values using British pound (£) and Euro (?) signs

Subject: [xsl] Re: [xsl] RE: [xsl] Re: [xsl] Problems transforming currency values using British pound (£) and Euro (?) signs
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:24:15 +0100
Hi Mike,

> First point: currency symbols are not legal in the picture of
> format-number(), though some processors may accept them.
> (format-number() was defined by reference to the
> DecimalFormatSymbols class of JDK 1.1, and currency symbols were
> added to the JDK at a later version than this).

Hmm... That's a different interpretation of the XSLT 1.0 Rec than I've
assumed. The Rec says:

  "The format pattern must not contain the currency sign (#x00A4);
   support for this feature was added after the initial release of JDK
   1.1."

(In later versions of the JDK, the currency sign is used to indicate
that the formatter should insert an appropriate currency symbol.)

I don't see anything that says that the pattern must not contain *any*
character that happens to be used as the currency symbol for a
particular currency, such as pound or dollar characters, just that it
cannot contain the currency sign character itself, #x00A4. I would
assume that currency symbols such as pound or dollar would be treated
as literal characters, just like any other punctuation.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison