RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: On xsl:sequence and xsl:copy-of

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: On xsl:sequence and xsl:copy-of
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:06:30 +0100

> Then a slight modification:
>
>     <xsl:variable name="v1" as="item()*">
>       <xsl:sequence select="/"/>
>     </xsl:variable>
>     <xsl:variable name="v2"  as="item()*">
>       <xsl:sequence select="/"/>
>     </xsl:variable>
>
>     <xsl:copy-of select="$v1 except $v2"/>
>
> I guess this will not produce any output -- am I right?

Correct, this will be an empty sequence.

> My last question is the following:
>
> In the example above the two sequences consist not of nodes,
> but of *references to nodes*. This is a very useful new
> datatype, not present in the XPath data model. Will it not be
> nice to explain this in detail in the XSLT spec.?

I must admit I like to think in terms of "references to nodes" rather
than "nodes" but for some reason this is not the language that the data
model uses. When it talks of a sequence "containing nodes", this is
clearly not exclusive containment, since the same node can belong to
more than one sequence. But that's the terminology that's used.

Michael Kay