[xsl] Re: need help with converting attribute into elements

Subject: [xsl] Re: need help with converting attribute into elements
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:19:47 +0200
"Ale¹ Peregrin" <ales.peregrin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:006001c3922f$ae0865d0$1c0aa8c0@xxxxxxxx
> Hi!
> I'm trying to make a XSLT stylexheet for transforming XML document into
HTML
> and there is a problem I'm unable to solve, even after a week of trying
and
> searching all over the internet. The problem looks quite easy to me and it
> seems I'm missing something important about XSL  language. Here it goes:
>
> I have an XML tag which looks like this: <text bold=true italic=true
> underline=false>Help!</text>
> In this case, the result in HTML should be:
>    <b>
>       <i>
>          Help!
>       </i>
>    </b>
>
> I simply need to transform the attributes into HTML elements so that any
of
> the possible combinations of the atributes' values would be transformed
> correctly.

The transformation below does this. It is essentially the same as the one
proposed by Jarno (and in fact I remember writing almost the same a month or
two ago), but saving a few lines, because it doesn't use a mapping for the
names of the elements.

This is not at all something too complex -- in fact the code fits on one
screen. Try to do the same in another programming language with smaller
number of lines of code.

The XSLT 2.0 solution provided by Mike is not significantly shorter either.

I think that only very simple programs consist of less than thirty lines of
code.

The problem at hand is not simple at all, as it requires a radical
structural transformation.

Therefore, the provided solutions are all compact and ellegant and also
quite simple. The XSLT 1.0 solution uses just one recursively called named
template, which distinguishes two cases -- in one it simply calls itself, in
the other case it agai calls itself but within a created element.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.