[xsl] user input specs -- alternatives

Subject: [xsl] user input specs -- alternatives
From: Terence Kearns <terencek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:17:57 +1000
For what i need most of the time, XForms is overkill. Does anyone know of a light-weight vocabulary for specifying user-input requirements in XML.

Every XML/XSLT developer I have worked with has rolled his own at least once. ie.

<inputGroup
    title="Some big form"
    type="form"
    destUri="myProcessor.jsp"
    xmlns="yet.another.wheel.reInvention">

<description />

<inputGroup
    type="section"
    title="1a"
    xmlns="yet.another.wheel.reInvention">

<inputItem id="foo1" type="text">
    <defaultVal>la la la</defaultVal>
    <constraints>
        <constraint max="255" regex="\w" />
        <reference refId="foo0">
            <case selectedDisplayItem="N/A">
                <assert value="" method="hide">
            </case>
            <case selectedIndex="0">
                <assert value="N/A" method="writeProtect">
            </case>
        </reference>
    </constraints>
    <defaultParams height="6" width="40" class="theme1" />
</inputItem>

... more input items...

<inputGroup>

<inputGroup>

Then you can build libraries of XSL widgets to render these things, and use them over and over.

It seems like no two attempts are the same and they all serve different purposes. Has anyone out there found an input specification vocabulary that they liked?

I myself am interested in something that works well with the concept of widgets written in XSL [to XHTML typically].

-- Terence Kearns ~ ph: +61 2 6201 5516 IT Database/Applications Developer Enterprise Information Systems Client Services Division University of Canberra www.canberra.edu.au