[xsl] My Intent: Template to generate RTF

Subject: [xsl] My Intent: Template to generate RTF
From: "Karl J. Stubsjoen" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:08:42 -0700
If you've been following the thread:
"Template to return XML"
I wanted to explain my intent just a bit more.  I did manage to set my
variable, not with a template call but a fairly complex *select*

-----
OMG!  Thinking of another solution as I type!  The *complex* select
statement, this string can be returned by a template... yes/no?
-----

Anyways, this is what I ended up with for a variable declaration:
<xsl:variable name="xmTmplt"
select="$DOC_TEMPLATE_XML//DOC[@id=ancestor-or-self::*[count(current()/ances
tor-or-self::*)-1]/@id]"/>

Its a bit messy, but it works (is this common?  maybe this isn't messy, but
is the most *complex* xpath expression I've written so far).
So my intent, was to wrap up the messy expression into a template.  The
template would be responsible for returning a correct (corresponding)
$DOC_TEMPLATE_XML (this is basically a footprint to the data source (uggg...
struggling to talk the talk here, sorry).

So, the above varialbe decleration was to look something like this:
<xsl:variable name="xmTmplt" select="A_CALL_TO_A_TEMPLATE"/>

Now I'm wondering if this will work:
<xsl:variable name="xmTmplt" select="$A_COMPLEX_XPATH_STRING_VALUE"/>

This, however, requires an additional line of code, the variable
decleration.  This could be global... I'm going to play around with this
*thinking outloud a bit here*

Karl