[xsl] Re: Generate Id's usage as primary and foriegn key in the database!!

Subject: [xsl] Re: Generate Id's usage as primary and foriegn key in the database!!
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:17:31 +0200
> For a given xsl file when i run one xml file, i get generate id which are
same
> when i change the input xml file having the same structure and based on
same
> dtd.  I am using msxsl as XSLT engine for processing my input xml files.
>
> My questions are
> 1)Can generate-id() be used to serve purpose like this ?
> 2)Is there any other technique avaialable in XSL 1.0 to do the same ?

>From the XSLT 1.0 spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#misc-func):

"An implementation is under no obligation to generate the same identifiers
each time a document is transformed. There is no guarantee that a generated
unique identifier will be distinct from any unique IDs specified in the
source document."

A more stable unique key generation is to use the XPath expression that
selects exactly the node, concatenated with the URI of the xml document.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.