[xsl] first occurence of a string value..

Subject: [xsl] first occurence of a string value..
From: "james walker" <jameswalkerandy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:45:41 +0000
I wanted to put the first letter of a certain string value as a title if it hasnt been visted already (combined with an xsl:sort to sort them alphabetically). For example, if the first "i" found was in "id checking" i would want to put "i" as the title and if it was found again, i would want to ignore it so the utput would look a little like:

I:
id checking
id security

J:
John B
Joisting
.
.
.

Apologies if i havent clarified this very well. I know how to use starts-with to get the first letter of each title but wasnt sure if there was a first occurence function to use? Also if anyone knows a better way to make it alphabetical with titles i would appreciate their input (apart from using xsl:sort)
thanks
james