Re: [xsl] variable matching...

Subject: Re: [xsl] variable matching...
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:15:14 GMT

  I'm not sure I understand this.  So make a short stylesheet
  which moves things like <Q /> to be <sp /> (in example above)
  but don't I need to change that each time?

You have to have some mechanism that ties the names in a new variant to
the processing that you have already established.

You had suggested that given a variant with a new set of names
you would set up something like a list of:
<xsl:variable name="stage">stagedir</xsl:variable>
and then use this variables to parameterise every aspect of your main
transform.

A simpler and more powerfuul mechanism (as it isn't restricted just to
name changes, and can of course trivially cope with your example of sd
and stagedir mapping to the same canonical form) is to write your main
transform for one "canonical" type then when a new variant is found you
just need to write a stylesheet with templates like this:

> <xsl:template mode="normalise" match="t">
> <title>
> <xsl:apply-templates mode="normalise"/>
> </title>
> </xsl:template>

this is no harder (just fractionally more verbose) than your suggested
list of variable definitions, the result of applying these templates is
that your new variant is transformed to your canincal input form, so
then you can apply your main stylesheet.

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew