Re: [xsl] tail recursion?

Subject: Re: [xsl] tail recursion?
From: David Tolpin <dvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:13:39 +0400 (AMT)

> > which of XSLT processors optimize tail-recursion into a loop?
>
> Saxon and jd.xslt are known to do so. Though of course the exact
> circumstances in which they do so need further investigation.
>
> >  Is there such thing as partial support for tool recursion in
> > some XSLT processors?
>
> I don't understand the question.

I am sorry for the typo. 'tail', not 'tool'.

In theory, any call that is tail-recursive can be optimized into a loop.
A, say, LISP, programmer is used to think that any indirect recursive-call
followed by stack fold is optimized into a loop (that is, does not create
a stack frame). And writes code accordingly.

The question is whether XSLT procesors support tail recursions under some circumstances
and not under other. And whether the circumstances are described.

David