RE: [xsl] Not-repeated elements in an <xsl:for-each>

Subject: RE: [xsl] Not-repeated elements in an <xsl:for-each>
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:00:57 -0600
Dear Caranthir (by the way ),

This is a classic grouping problem.
Here's a short solution:

<xsl:template match="/root">
 <!-- Select the first ship element of each unique type. -->
 <!-- This assumes all ships are siblings. -->
 <xsl:for-each select="ship[not(preceding-sibling::ship/@type = @type)]">
   <xsl:variable name="stype" select="@type" />
   <xsl:value-of select="sum(../ship[@type = $stype])" />
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

If you have a lot of ships, you could use a key (xsl:key) to make this
more efficient.
See the XSL FAQ (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/sect21.html I think)
under "Grouping" for more details. Specifically, Meunchian grouping.

Lars