RE: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge

Subject: RE: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:45:30 -0000
# It's a big program and I have a tendancy to think it's going
# in an innefficient direction mainly by having all templates
# except root be named and called explicitly with a whole lot
# of variables being passed from template to template.  In my
# limited experience, these slow down processing significantly.

I don't think there's any reason why calling named templates should be
inefficient. The thing to look at is the algorithmic complexity.

#  Someday I'll look into engine source and find out more specifically.
# Another suspicious piece that I've noticed is the calls like:
#
# <xsl:variable name="random-nodes-r" select="document('')//*"
# /> <xsl:variable name="random-nodes-c" select="document('')//*" />
#
# Which, (correct me if I'm wrong here), are making two extra
# copies of the entire document in a variable?

No, only one extra copy. Calling document() multiple times with the same URI
will return the document from a local cache.

Michael Kay