[xsl] escaping quotes in a translate()

Subject: [xsl] escaping quotes in a translate()
From: Dan Vint <dvint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:09:23 -0800
I would like to use the translate function to convert curly quotes to their ASCII counter part, but I'm having troubles getting them accepted. I've always thought that you use double, single then entity references or single double then entity references to deal with nested quoting issues but that isn't working here.

Here is what I want to use:

<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(
			translate( $sourceString,
				'&#x2019;&#x201D;&#x201C;&#x2018;',
				'&apos;&quot;&apos;&quot;'
				)
			)" />

I get errors about unmatched quotes if I change the order or in this case "Expected a )"

I don't just want to delete these characters, I would like to replace them with ASCII ok values.