RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0 Decimal number silliness

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0 Decimal number silliness
From: David Tolpin <dvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:06:10 +0500 (AMST)
> # The "decimal" data type should be used when you require a
> # high level of precision, since it can accurately store data
> # up to 28 digits after the decimal points (128-bit precision).
>
> There's nothing in the XML Schema or XPath specifications that specifies the
> precision of xs:decimal, other than a statement that at least 18 decimal
> digits must be supported. I've no idea where you got 128 bits from, nor 28
> digits.

C# is where it can come from:

http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/decimal.html

In general, however, it is not a fault of C# or the poster; it
is easy to make the mistake with most other numeric types derived
from binary representations.

It is a trap for a user to provide floating point inexact types
defined by restriction of an exact rational type.