RE: [xsl] Dynamic XPath expression (I know it doesnt work in XSLT1.0)

Subject: RE: [xsl] Dynamic XPath expression (I know it doesnt work in XSLT1.0)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:46:59 +0100
> After some pretty exhaustive searching on the web, I have decided to
> join the list. I have noticed in the archives that more than
> one person
> has had the same issue as I have...how to create an XPath expression
> dynamically (from a variable, etc). The answer to these
> questions was to
> use any of the available *:evaluate functions. I would like to try to
> avoid that, since it increases the parse time so much....and
> that is not
> acceptable.
>
> My question is if there is any other way to accomplish this,
> for example using XSLT2.0.

Sorry, but this is one feature that we decided not to put in XSLT 2.0. The
only choices are really:

(a) using an xx:evaluate() extension function
(b) modifying the stylesheet before you execute it

I'm not sure why you think there is a performance problem with the extension
function approach?

Michael Kay