Re: [xsl] Grouping by key

Subject: Re: [xsl] Grouping by key
From: Dimtre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:20:12 +1100
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:35:38 +0100, Geert Josten
<geert.josten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks David and Jeni for the hint.
>
> > Actually, that doesn't matter in XSLT 1.0, since if you supply a
> > node-set to the generate-id() function it gives you the generated ID
> > for the first node in that node-set automatically. But I usually put
> > in the [1] anyway (a) because it makes it clearer what's going on and
> > (b) because in XSLT 2.0, it's an error to supply more than one node as
> > the argument to generate-id().
>
> Now I know why I get confused sometimes. The operators _do_ work on nodesets, but functions _don't_..

This has nothing to do with operators/functions -- just the way XPath
1.0 and XPath 2.0 react to a sequence of more than one item when just
one is expected.

Of course, the picture is a little bit more complicated, because we
have backwards compatibility (version="1" in scope) and calculating
the EBV (Effective Boolean Values), that cause XPath 2.0 to behave
(almost) as XPath 1.0.

Or did I get it wrong? :o)

Cheers,

Dimitre.