Re: [xsl] XSL, XSL:FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL, XSL:FO
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:39:10 -0800
The short answer to your question is that you need and XSL-FO processor to process FO code. MSXML (which is what you are using when implementing a transformation via IE) does not provide support for FO. Your best starting point is to visit the Apache.org site and look at the FOP processor project (http://xml.apache.org/fop/). This is a very popular processor for FO and a good starting point and resource for FO-based XSL code development

If you are considering FO as a solution for long term development I would also consider visiting G. Ken Holmans company site (http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/) and look into taking one of his highly rated/recommended courses on XSL-FO.

Best of luck to you!

<M:D/>

Arun Sinha wrote:

Hi,

What is the basic requirement for XSL:FO?

When I started learning and coding XSL the only software
needed was IE.

Now I am trying to learn XSL:FO but it isn't working.
Do I need to install and run any software for XSL:FO ?

I have the following XML and XSL:FO code but it isn't getting
formtted as per the code.

XML :-

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='test.fo' ?>
<document>
 <section>
  <head>My very first xsl-fo document</head>
 </section>
 <section>
   <head>The second section should start on a new page </head>
  <para>The second section</para>
 </section>
</document>

XSL/XSL:FO :- <?xml version="1.0" ?>

xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"; version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="xml"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

    <fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:simple-page-master
            master-name="simple"
            page-height  ="29.7cm"
            page-width   ="21cm"
            margin-left  ="2.5cm"
            margin-right ="2.5cm">
            <fo:region-body margin-top="13cm"/>
        </fo:simple-page-master>
    </fo:layout-master-set>

    <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </fo:flow>
    </fo:page-sequence>