Re: [xsl] IGNORE CASE IN XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] IGNORE CASE IN XSLT
From: Oleg Tkachenko <oleg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:24:37 +0200
Geert Josten wrote:

It will not help a lot if one cannot predict the use of case in element names. :-( Especially documents that originate from HTML of SGML have this problem, as HTML and SGML are case insensitive...

I believe this problem should be addressed at the parsing level. XML is all over case sensitive. You can create simple SAX filter (XmlReader in .NET), which can tranlate all element names to some common case. during XML reading. Alternatively you can create a copy of the source document with all names translated in a variable and process it further.

It would have been nice if the XSL standard would have provided a case sensitivity option. But on the other hand, it is actually more a job for XML parsers. Are there XML Parsers that have an option to ignore case of the input? (not using a declaration file)
I don't think so. XML is case sensitive, even without DTD. But you can implement such translation on-the-fly.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://blog.tkachenko.com