Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff
From: xptm@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:43:03 +0000
Hi David, and all.

OT i just went to XSLT:Blog and where it should appear (i added the spaces)
I ' m
appears
I b $ (TM) m

Now on-topic, i've been searching for info in places like w3schools, and it
gives me the impression that XML data islands and related techniques are very
tyied to IE browser, like HTML elements binding, XML HTTP requests, etc...
Also
i saw that XML data islands has nothing to do with W3C...

Is this correct?

My boss suddenly give a high priority to this going-to-be project, so let me
elaborate a little more for you to see if this falls in your techniques.

Do you think you techniques can be adaptable to this, or should i start
looking
elsewere?

Regards.

Basically, my intention is to have a menu tree that, when cliked on a node,
would do a trip to the server to get some XML that could be a sub-menu
definition to display dinamically, or a XML ResultSet from a db to display
via
XSL/CSS/CSS2, or even a HTML page to display on a frame (altougt i don't like
frames). I want to do this dinamically, specially without refreshing the
browser, as this has a tendency to become very heavy.

Quoting "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Actually, I think I may have what you are looking for.  In my spare time
> I have been working on a cross browser implementation that uses a
> combination of XML data islands, XML data files, and XSLT 1.0
> stylesheets coupled with client side javascript to pass variables to the
> stylesheets which then use these variables with the document() function
> to access new data files to transform.  Its part of a project that I am
> implementing for a client so I wont be able to show it to you as is...
> but as soon as I have a chance I will break open the code base and pull
> the non-client-specific files out.  I can then put in some foo xml files
> to showcase whats going on.
>
> When I'm done I will reply back here and on post the files to
> xsltblog.com for the consumption of anyone interested in this method.  I
> doubt highly I will get to it today but I should have a chance sometime
> before Monday to put it together and publish it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> <M:D/>
>
> xptm@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Thanks Shawn. I've allready done some things with CSS2 so it's a good
source
> for
> >me. I'll look into it.
> >
> >How about XML/XSL editors, what are people using?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Citando Shawn <sgrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> >>Take a look at http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/ with regards to the
> >>menu
> >>(see the Pure CSS Menus link).  The menu allows popup menus (for browsers
> >>with CSS2 support), with CSS only - no javascript or image swapping.  It
> even
> >>degrades in a decent manner for browsers that don't have full CSS2
support
> >>(like IE).  Be sure to check out the other topics on his site - he's done
> >>some really amazing stuff with CSS.
> >>
> >>I've recently had to put together a proof of concept on this, using
XML/XSL
> >>create the menu items.  Once you work through the coding, it's actually
> damn
> >>easy (probably easier for those who are much more familiar with XSL than
> >>am).
> >>
> >>I can't help you too much with regards to data islands.  However, in the
> past
> >>I have used WDDX and JavaScript to manipulate data on the fly
client-side,
> >>refresh the page with said data (without a trip to the server), then
> >>eventually submit the data back to the server for processing.  It wasn't
> that
> >>tough.  I've seen articles online on how to parse/build XML via
JavaScript,
> >>so that should be just as easy.  (For any who don't know, WDDX is an XML
> >>format for passing complex structures, developed by Allaire/Macromedia.
> It's
> >>useful, but I think support for it is slowly fading in favor of SOAP.)
> >>
> >>HTH
> >>
> >>Shawn

XML