[xsl] speed difference between IE and Firefox during transform?

Subject: [xsl] speed difference between IE and Firefox during transform?
From: Sean Whalen <seanwhalen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:42:15 -0500
Hi,
I've been playing with XSLT, and as a practice exercise I am putting together an all-xslt version of the game Minesweeper. It is basically 90% done at this point. I've noticed a big difference in the transform speed of one of the stylesheets I'm using.

I'm writing the list to find out if that is to-be-expected or if that is strange. The game has some other UI issues, but I'm writing here just to ask about the difference in speed between the two browsers.

The stylesheet, at the point of the slowness, has 2 node-set variables, and it is building a 3rd variable by selecting all the members of the first set that have an attribute that is found in some member of the second set. That block of code looks a little like this:

<xsl:variable name = "revealing" select = "$field[
@isBomb != -1 and @isRevealed = 0 and
((concat(@h -1 ,'/', @v ) = $zeros/@sqID) or (concat(@h +1 ,'/', @v ) = $zeros/@sqID)
)] " />

In that code, the "$field" contains the unexposed squares, and the "$zeros" are the revealed squares that are being used to search for more revealable squares. This can take a second or two when this runs in IE, but can take up to ten seconds in Firefox.

Is that just the way it is?

this is the main page for the app (index.html)
http://seanwhalen.home.comcast.net/sweeperscript/

and this is the stylesheet with the strange slowness in Firefox:
http://seanwhalen.home.comcast.net/sweeperscript/RevealBombs.xsl

Thanks for any feedback.
Sean