Re: [xsl] Variables and HTML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Variables and HTML
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Mar 2005 06:59:27 +0000

    >> Together with a character mao that maps back:
    >>
    >> <xsl:output-character character="&#xE001; string="&lt;"/>
    >> <xsl:output-character character="&#xE002; string="&gt;"/>
    >> <xsl:output-character character="&#xE003; string="&amp;"/>

    Nathan> I read this as defining instructions for the serializer to
    Nathan> replace the unfamiliar charcters above with the
    Nathan> appropriate output characters (<> and & in final output).

The reason these characters are unfamiliar, is that they are defined
by Unicode as private use (that is, they are anything the application
wants them to be).

This makes them ideal for use in character maps, as they cannot
possibly conflict with any normal character.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire