RE: [xsl] New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing

Subject: RE: [xsl] New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing
From: "Andrew Welch" <ajwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:20:54 +0100
> Here is the methodology we used:
>
> 1. We emailed over 75,000 IT professionals, and also had the
>     survey posted on our website.  We obtained email address from
>     tradeshow lists, direct marketing lists, registered customers
>     and our entire customer prospect list.  We did not as some
>     have suggested ask just the XQuery SIG :).
>
> 2. 550 completed surveys were submitted.
>
> 3. Of the 550 people who submitted complete surveys, 477
>     indicated that they currently use or plan to use XQuery this
>     year.

To look at it a different way, 75,000 people were 'spammed' with an
XQuery survey.  Those who weren't interested in XQuery binned in, and
probably a lot who were interested also binned it.  That leaves two
groups: those really into XQuery and it's promotion, and those really
into filling out surveys.

I would guess that out of the 75,000 surveyed, 83 really enjoy filling
out forms, 477 are really into XQuery (and also like filling out forms)
and 74,450 just wish they weren't on direct marketing lists....  :)

cheers
andrew