Re: [xsl] extrat value from current node only.

Subject: Re: [xsl] extrat value from current node only.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:34:56 +0100
<xsl:template match="item">
    title:<xsl:value-of select="current()"/>

current() (you could have used . and got the same thing) selects the
current node, and value-of generates the string value of the node, which
is all the text in any descendant.

You only want the first text node child, which is text()[1] but that
would give you
"
	   title 1
	   "

with lots of white space which you can kill off with the normalize-space
function, so...

<xsl:template match="item">
    title:<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(text()[1])"/>

David

PS
welcome to the club (oh and it's xsl not xls:-)
PPS
which I cannot solve with the W3C tutorial ...
I don't think the W3C have any tutorial material (they do of course have
the XSLT specification itself,  If you mean w3schools or whatever it's
called that has no connection with w3c as far as I know)
This list has a good FAQ (follow the link at the end of every message)

http://www.star.net.uk