Re: [xsl] assign page-number-citation to a variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] assign page-number-citation to a variable
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:07:02 -0400
At 2005-08-03 15:45 +1000, Anujith Amaratunga wrote:
I have a requirement to show the total number of pages for each section at
the beginning of a report. There are 3 sections and I can put an id in
each section. I can also use page-number-citation to get the last page
number for that section. But I need to do some calculations on the page
number ( i.e. section one page number minus section 2 page number). Is it
possible to set a variable with the value of page-number-citation ?

This is not possible because variables are a feature of XSLT and the page-number-citation is a feature of XSL-FO. XSL-FO processing is independent of any transformation that creates the XSL-FO instance. XSL-FO 1.0 semantics does not allow page numbers to be operands in any kind of arithmetic, either with each other or with scalars.

I cannot think of a work-around to help you with your given example.

-- World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training. G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal