Re: [xsl] xsl:key function help

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:key function help
From: "Nick Fitzsimons" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:19:37 +0100 (BST)
> Hello Joris,
>
>> The usage of the 'key()' function and the implementation of
>> the Muenchian grouping is 100% correct.
>> The problem is really much easier:
>> You do not want <xsl:template match="/"> but instead:
>> <xsl:template match="TipDatabase">
>
> gosh it works. But why? I assumed that "/" equals "TipDatabase" because it
> is the root element.
>
> So could you give an explanation why TipDatabase != "/".

Have a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#root-node for the definitive
explanation. Translated into normal-speak, what that is saying is that the
root element is a nameless element which is the parent of the document
element, "TipDatabase" in your case, and of any processing instructions
and comments at the top level of the document. Think of it as the node
that contains all the stuff that would otherwise be rattling around loose,
having no parent.

HTH,

Nick.
--