Re: [xsl] Positional Grouping Problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Positional Grouping Problem
From: omprakash.v@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:12:44 +0530
Hi,
    Your generate-group-elements is recursing over all Zs in the input. And
thats why you are getting the output you are getting.

You need to test for when the next Z has a different value from the current
and make that your stop condition.

Cheers,
prakash

                      Mukul Gandhi
                      <gandhi.mukul@gm         To:      xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      ail.com>                 cc:      (bcc: omprakash.v/Polaris)
                                               Subject: [xsl] Positional Grouping Problem
                      08/05/2005 04:55
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to xsl-list

I have this XML file -
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<X>
  <Y>
    <Z>HI</Z>
    <Z>HI</Z>
    <Z>HI</Z>
    <Z>YES</Z>
    <Z>HI</Z>
    <Z>HI</Z>
  </Y>
</X>

I desire output -
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<X>
   <Y>
      <group>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
      </group>
      <Z>YES</Z>
      <group>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
      </group>
   </Y>
</X>

i.e. all consecutive Z's with string HI should be grouped in element
<group>

I have written this stylesheet so far to solve this problem -
<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />

<xsl:template match="/X">
  <X>
   <Y>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="Y" />
   </Y>
  </X>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Y">
   <xsl:apply-templates select="Z" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Z">
   <xsl:choose>
     <xsl:when test=". = 'YES'">
       <xsl:copy-of select="." />
     </xsl:when>
     <xsl:when test="((. = 'HI') and not(preceding-sibling::Z[1] = 'HI'))">
       <group>
         <xsl:copy-of select="." />
         <xsl:call-template name="generate-group-elements">
           <xsl:with-param name="list" select="following-sibling::Z" />
         </xsl:call-template>
       </group>
    </xsl:when>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="generate-group-elements">
   <xsl:param name="list" />

   <xsl:if test="$list[1]">
     <xsl:copy-of select="$list[1]" />
     <xsl:call-template name="generate-group-elements">
       <xsl:with-param name="list" select="$list[position() > 1]" />
     </xsl:call-template>
   </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

But I am getting output -
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<X>
   <Y>
      <group>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>YES</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
      </group>
      <Z>YES</Z>
      <group>
         <Z>HI</Z>
         <Z>HI</Z>
      </group>
   </Y>
</X>

Can somebody please find the bug in my stylesheet?

I have tested with Xalan-J 2.6.0, Saxon 6.5.3 and MSXML4 ; and I am
getting same output with all these three XSLT processors. I am hinging
slightly to Xalan and Saxon.

Regards,
Mukul

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.
If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in