Re: [xsl] Moving an element to a new location in the Result-tree

Subject: Re: [xsl] Moving an element to a new location in the Result-tree
From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
Contra Jim Graves writes:
> What is the recommended method to move an element to a Result-tree
> location that will be created, yet has not yet been created, (using
> copy, & copy-of)? Common sense would indicate that I need to run a
> second XSLT transform -- once the first version of the tree has been
> created -- or is there a better way, such as building the tree's
> elements first, then populating them with data, in a following template
> in the first and only transform? Since I usually build the element and
> populate it then too, when I'm there, I think I'll need a second XSLT.

I think you may be falling prey to the same procedural trap discussed
earlier today on this list.

If I have this input tree:

<document>
  <a/>
  <b/>
</document>

and I want to put a inside of b, I can do this:

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="a"/>

<xsl:template match="b">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="../a" mode="inside"/>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="a" mode="inside">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

which results in:

<document>
</document>

~Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, crism consulting
XML-SGML-HTML-DTDs-schemas-XSL-DSSSL-conversion-training-ebooks-B2B