Re: [xsl] Keeping a map in my XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Keeping a map in my XSL
From: andrew welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:01:43 +0100
On 9/13/05, Kevin L. Cobb <kevin.cobb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to be able to set a variable that is retreived from my XML I am
> parsing to a mapped values. For example, lets say I have an XML map that
> looks like this:
>
> <map>
> </map>
>
> My source XML has the value '12345' in a certain field. I retreive the
> field as usual in XSL and then I want to get the mapped value of this
> field. The map above is "included" in my XSL. Is there a best way to do
> this in XSL?

yes, first restructure your map as associating a key and value by
position is a bad idea, much better to use attributes:

<map>
  <key name="12345" value="abcde"/>
  <key name="78910" value="lmnop"/>
</map>

then define a key to return a value for a given name:

<xsl:key name="mappings" match="key" use="@name"/>

then in xslt 1.0 use:

<xsl:variable name="lookup" select="the_name_you_want_lookup"/>
<xsl:for-each select="$map">
  <xsl:value-of select="key('mappings', $lookup)/@value"/>
</xsl:for-each>

in 2.0 you don't have the hassle of switching the context node because
key() can take it as the third argument:

  <xsl:value-of select="key('mappings', the_name_you_want_to_lookup,
$mappings)/@value"/>

cheers
andrew