Re: [xsl] Processing IDREFS attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Processing IDREFS attributes
From: Dan Vint <dvint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:36:39 -0800
Its not working that way with the for-each statement then. I think I'm getting exactly this:

******
 When the argument to id is of type node-set, then the result is
the union of the result of applying id to the string-value of each of
the nodes in the argument node-set.
********

Instead of getting tokens I can process I'm getting the list back again, which isn't any greater help. Unless something else would help me break up the list into individual pieces, the template route seems to be the only thing that works.

,,dan

At 02:05 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:

> that was where I was going, but I'm surprised that a function was provided
> to track down IDs but not one to pull apart IDREFS, or build that tokenize
> functionality into the id() function itself.

It does. The attribute doesn't need to be declared IDREF: any space
separated string is split up automatically:

Xpath 1 says

The id function selects elements by their unique ID (see [5.2.1 Unique IDs]). When the argument to id is of type node-set, then the result is the union of the result of applying id to the string-value of each of the nodes in the argument node-set. When the argument to id is of any other type, the argument is converted to a string as if by a call to the string function; the string is split into a whitespace-separated list of tokens (whitespace is any sequence of characters matching the production S); the result is a node-set containing the elements in the same document as the context node that have a unique ID equal to any of the tokens in the list.

David

http://www.star.net.uk

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703

When H.H. Bennett was asked why he preferred to be out
shooting landscapes rather than spending time in his portrait studio:

"It is easier to pose nature and less trouble to please."

http://www.portalwisconsin.org/bennett_feature.cfm