Re: [xsl] Different results of format-date() when using empty seq. or omitting args for lang/cal/country args

Subject: Re: [xsl] Different results of format-date() when using empty seq. or omitting args for lang/cal/country args
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:03:12 +0200
The default should be the same in both cases, I will fix this.

The difference between these two defaults corresponds to my findings, indeed. My personal favor goes to the same language in all cases, instead of any system default, whether or not the Java api has a mapping for it. That way, my xslt will run the same regardless the location you run it, even when using defaults for the parameters of the format-date function. Of course, this removes the added 'feature' of having a processor that 'adopts' to its surrounding when it comes to locales (but I hardly consider that a feature and would rather want to set the default using a processor-dependent property, which, if I may add, is a recommendation that is also mentioned in the xslt specs, same section).

(I did some interesting but not very successful experiments trying to
configure my PC to use Dutch. All I achieved was to select a US keyboard
mapping, which doesn't match the keys on my keyboard...)

It's not at all sensible to do this in Windows, but to get it to work your way, instead of going to the "Languages" tab in the "Regional and Language Options", you should simply change the language setting in "Regional Options" (same screen), under "location" and/or "standards and formats". That should not mess up your keyboard def.

Thanks for looking into this. I wonder how other processors deal with this.

Cheers,
Abel Braaksma