[xsl] Even/Odd + Reference orientation

Subject: [xsl] Even/Odd + Reference orientation
From: Sakib R Saikia <sakib@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:48:19 -0400
Hello,

I am quite new to XSL and FO, and am presently designing a stylesheet to transform and render certain publications in XML format to PDF. I have run into a few problems, and was hoping you could help me out.

1. We are using different formats for even and odd pages. Although I can set the margins etc. in appropriately for odd and even pages in the <simple-page-master>, I need some means to check for odd/even pages during the flow of the document, so that I can stylize the header and footer differently for odd and even pages. Can this be done?

2. Secondly, I am trying to display text oriented at 90 degrees next to an image (for the credits). For this i was putting the text inside a <block> which i put inside a <block-container> oriented at 90 deg, and after that was the block containing the image. But this causes the image to display below the text rather than alongside it. I guess there is an implicit 'newline' semantics associated with <block>. Is there any way i can suppress this, or am i taking a wrong approach altogether. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Sincerely,
Sakib R Saikia