[xsl] conditionally outputting with different encodings

Subject: [xsl] conditionally outputting with different encodings
From: Stephen Ciscola <cravenblackbird@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:14:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hi!

I'm transforming a number of xml documents into html.
They're all exactly the same, except that their
encoding can vary.

What i want to do be able to do is use the same
stylesheet for each one, just telling the processor to
output to encoding xxx conditionally, based on
whatever the encoding of doc being transformed is.

I don't see anyway to do this however.. I wish I could
just do something as simple as this, and pass the
processor a parameter each transform:

<xsl:param name="target_enc" select="'Shift_JIS'"/>
<xsl:ouput method="html" encoding="{$target_enc}" />

But that appears unsupported.

Right now I'm using numerous stylesheets, with only
one element changed, <xsl:output encoding="xxx" ..../>
which really seems like quite a kludge, and is a
hassle to keep them synced. The style sheets all use
the same encoding, Shift_JIS.

Any help appreciated, this is for xslt 1.0 I should
add.

thanks!
S.