RE: [xsl] XSLT 1: template inside of template?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1: template inside of template?
From: "Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:03:42 +0000
You're correct, sounds like they seriously need an XSLT expert.
Perhaps it was a "test", see how you coped with confrontation or something...

Joe

From: "Chris Loschen" <christopher.loschen@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [xsl] XSLT 1: template inside of template?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:58:08 -0500

Hi all,

I don't have my reference book in front of me. I just wanted a quick sanity check.

I just got out of an interview and one of the questions was about XSLT 1.0. The sample code looked like this:

<xsl:template .>
<tag1.>
<!-- various stuff -->
<xsl:template .>
<!-- more stuff -->
</xsl:template>
</tag1>
<!-- more stuff -->
</xsl:template>

I pointed out to the interviewer that this wasn't legal: you can't have an xsl:template inside another xsl:template. She said that it was copied from a working stylesheet, so it had to be legal, but I think there had to be a copy-and-paste error or something in there.

Am I crazy? (Well, let's leave that one aside. am I crazy about this?) XSLT doesn't allow an xsl:template inside of another xsl:template, right?

Thanks.

Chris Loschen